View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
Despanan

Not surprised in the slightest.

From what I've read of Ol' Rand, She was just another in a line of artists (in this case also a playwright) born into a life of wealth and privilege. She lost some of it when her family had to flee the communists, but once again, she really didn't know struggle. Managed to pay all her bills by teaching English to a couple of people, and act like an entitled selfish prick.

Now, I came from a good family (My Dad's an MD and we were upper-middle class), and growing up I was by no means poor, but by choosing the lifestyle of an artist who comes from a family which is NOT obscenely wealthy, and NOT connected with the arts, I've realized how precarious a position people are in who aren't college educated and DON'T happen to have the theoretical support I do.

Basically, I really hate rich people who harbor feelings of entitlement, and Rand particularly annoys me, as she was basically HANDED a writing career on a silver platter, and still managed to act like she did it all herself.

So yeah, basically I've got a bit of a chip on my shoulder about this, and now Rand in particular, as she's a sort of the embodiment of what's wrong with conservatism and the arts, wrapped in a neat little hypocritical bow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote