View Single Post
Old 04-02-2006, 03:48 AM   #7
Ben Lahnger

A TRIP TO TENERIFE - 05

From Dad's Journal:

Spent the day just taking it easy. (A little recovery time from our trip and jetlag was in order - Ed.) We had breakfast at the resort restaurant and sat in the sun by the pool while the sun shone, but by early afternoon it clouded up and cooled down a bit. The forecast is for below normal temperatures for the entire week. I note that it can be raining just a short distance away and perfectly dry and sunny elsewhere. The winds are northeasterly for these islands and as they sweep up over the mountains the air condenses and it rains, especially near the tops of the mountains.

--------------------------------------------------

Sent : Sunday, February 5, 2006 7:29 PM
Subject : Dining Out

Tonight we ate at Meson Los Gemelos restaurant, which our hotel aide recommended for traditional Canary Island fare. The grey patch at the top of the first picture is sky, as this was an open air restaurant.

Low Resolution Picture Of Inside Meson Los Gemelos Restaurant

Picture 2 is the cup of coffee I ordered. My girlfriend knows the pot of coffee I go through every morning, so when I point out the pen at the bottom of the picture for scale, she should be amused. (I would later learn that this is the norm for coffee here, and it is served espresso style everywhere. So much for relaxing with a leisurely cup or 5 in the morning.)

Low Resolution Picture Of Tiny Cup Of Coffee

I had the onion soup which was fabulous. I'll let Dad tell you about his asperagus later. For our main dish, we both ordered sirloin steak served Canary style (picture below). Let me tell you, that was the finest steak with fried onions and banana that I have ever had. Yes, you read right ... BANANA. The banana is Tenerife's principal crop and export, so it figures that it would work it's way into the cuisine. The steak was fine ... the fried banana was only so-so.

Low Resolution Picture Of Steak Served Canarian Style

More later.
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote