View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #41
Ben Lahnger

I am a tough sell when it comes to romantic comedies, and I truly don't believe they make them as good as when Tracy and Hepburn were starring in such classics as "Adam's Rib" or "Woman of the Year." Still, here's a short list of a few that won me over and I would highly recommend to any of my friends ... even "the guys":

Heaven Can Wait (the original with Warren Beatty)
50 First Dates
The Truth about Cats & Dogs (with Janeane Garofalo in a very winning performance)

Very honorable mention: Roxanne - Steve Martin wrote the screenplay giving a modern update of the story Cyrano de Bergerac. His script and his performance are a wonder. It has been rightly hailed as "a comic masterpiece" and I never tire of seeing it.

In other movie recommendations, my favorite movie of all time is the original 12 Angry Men. It's a hard sell to my younger friends as it is in black & white and the "action" all takes place in a single room, but the compelling, thoughtful discussion on racism, justice and the qualities of temperance and mercy make it a film worthy of your patience and your time.

And for an under-appreciated jewel, I like to suggest Blood Simple by the Cohen brothers. Well before they ever thought about making The Big Lebowski or Fargo, they crafted this black comedic drama with so many signature moments of miscommunication and unexpected consequences that new appreciation dawns on me each time I watch it.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote