View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #14
Saya

I wouldn't mind doing grad studies in the states just because as horrific as the religious right can be, at least its interesting to study. Basically my thought is "Wouldn't it be fascinating to study the really crazy ones?" but on the other hand, I'd also have to live with the crazy ones.

We talked a lot about the right in my Disney and Religion course last semester and I'm taking a course about Christianity in the modern era, and still I can't really figure out what's in the water down there. Seriously, this is my semester so far:

Europe: Neo-Orthodoxy and Protestant conservatism started with Karl Blarth who was horrified to see that so many theologians supported the Kaiser in going to war in WWI. He viewed nationalism as a form of idolatry. When Protestant churches went along with Hitler's church program, he was once again horrified and sent a pamphlet and letter to Hitler reminding him Jesus was Jewish, and started his own church program to counter, eventually leading to him being deported. He blamed liberalism for not taking spirituality seriously, leading to religious folk easily bending their beliefs to suit the nationalist agenda. Also blamed them for being elitist and out of touch with the working class.

American conservatism: The theory of Evolution just really pissed us off and we've been having one long temper tantrum since.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote