View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #7
rabbitinthemoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnojoo View Post
heh i never really got into promethea either... tried an issue but it was just too much for my brain (but i do intend to come back to it someday cos i'm sure, i'm really sure, i SHOULD like it... hehe). i don't really like league either (based on the first two tpbs), though honestly i'm not sure why. ah, maybe it's just a bit too steampunk, i dunno.

but basically everything else he's ever written is (i think) pure gold. i reckon he has an amazing ability to use characters/events to create a metaphor that is very simple but with an incredible amount of poignancy/heart - and then to exploit/innovate his narrative structure to the max in telling it.

from hell is (for me) one of the most accomplished histories/melodramas ever written; voice of the fire was a fantastically impressive debut novel (i think the structure of it is what makes it), and i thought lost girls was one of the best things he's written too - as well as utterly beautiful (good work melinda gebbie!), and the wartime setting was perfect.

heh, that's an odd top 3, and not the ones i thought i'd choose actually. u?

oh, i'm REALLY looking forward to jerusalem...
What's Jerusalem? I'm really out of the loop because I was totally broke for two years and couldn't afford to feed my comic habit.
I want to read "From Hell" badly...working on getting that one. I had the "Lost Girls" set but ended up having to sell it on Ebay. It was beautiful though and I wish I'd had more time with it.....
I like Alan Moore, but not the way I love some of the other series I've read. But I read "Watchmen" when I was in a very dark place and it was such literal escapism for me...it'll always have that special place in my heart.
rabbitinthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote