View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #2960
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf moon View Post
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo bothered you but you loved Let the Right One In? Remember the acid and the skin and the...ugh. I mean, it's an excellent book. But Lindqvist makes me squirm way more than Larsson ever has... I made my way through the entire Girl trilogy without ever taking a nausea break. Can't say the same for Let the Right One In.
Oh, I should have clarified. They were too "shocky" to me, like the rrape scenes and the SPOILER SPOILER: killer turning out to be the mild mannered brother who actually is a psycho serial killer who's been killing for fun for years, and no one ought to know this. With Christie its not gory, but a lot of thought went in behind whodunit and why, and you make your logical guess before the big reveal. The only one so far where I felt like it could have been anybody in the book turned out that it actually was everybody. with GWTDT it was just "AND ISNT THIS SICKENING AND HORRIFYING?!" when the killer was revealed, and it could have been anyone else and lose nothing. The only surprise was the twist about the victim. I also understand the the original title was Men Who Hate Women, but did the main character have to be the only man in the book who wasn't in any way an ass, and look at all the pussy he gets because he is the only man in the world who isn't an ass? The relationship between Lisbeth and Mikael I thought was really weird particularly, I know Larsson was traumatized after witnessing a rrape and I don't like picking at things that are created as a healing tool, but if you don't know that about Larsson its really easy to take the book as a "finally the Nice Guy finishes first" kind of thing.

With Let The Right One In, the pedophilia thing I didn't enjoy, obviously, but the whole point of the book was to scare the shit out of you and scare the shit out of me it did, like vampire book should.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote