View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 02:47 AM   #85
Miss Absynthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharis View Post
...and a lot of the time that's through a privileged and overwhelmingly White lens.

...Ignorance of these issues is not always due to a malice, laziness, or white privilege on the part of the individual. More lack of that information.

...I'd also like to talk about privilege. You seem to have assumed that everyone has the same access to information and opportunity to absorb it that you do.

...I get that a lot of times people miss the point or don't bother to learn because they have the privilege of not ever having to worry about it.

But I don't call ignorance a privilege. I call it a disadvantage.
The way that I read what you said was that white privilege is just something that is held by individuals. Perhaps I misunderstood what you wrote.

It's not 'a lot of the time' that the media shows information from a white view point - it's all of the time.

White privilege isn't something that is exercised by an individual, to say that holds the implication that if a person isn't exercising it then it doesn't come into play. White privilege is something that exists whether the individual exercises it or is unaware of it.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote