View Single Post
Old 10-17-2004, 12:53 PM   #38
Nike

Quote:
Originally Posted by .BatteryPoison.
People who perfer opinion-based news.
All kinds of news are opinion based.

That's why it is so important to use different sources. You can find "evidence" for almost every point of view you want to almost every topic you want. That is why it is so important to read and think about news that offer a different point of view. We usually are looking for the kind of news that are supporting our point of view, that are supporting the way we have made up our mind about a certain topic. We usually avoid to disturb that picture we have made up in our mind. But that's what we have to. Question everything. Question ourselves. Trying to see things from a different point of view.

I agree to Sternn - it is helpful to go to other countries, get to know other cultures and other point of views.

I think human kind's most dangerous habit is to define good and evil by the standards of our own culture. Standards, we are used to, standards that seem to work out for us and we could not imagine differently.
We sometimes forget that people living in other cultures also have something to say about ethics.
We sometimes forget that what we aren't used to doesn't have to be bad consequently.
And even if it was, violence doesn't seem to be a good way for me to impress people of other cultures of the etchic values of our beautiful democratic society.

Concerning Afghanistan - Afghanistan has been bombed, civilians have suffered as in any war, but there are still Taliban. Taliban that are influencing the elections by threatening society, expecially women not to vote.
Is this the beauty of democracy brought to Afghanistan?

Things are not that simple, unfortunatley, not simple enough that we can read the news and some internet articles and believe to be informed about "the true facts".

We would lack a lot of problems if it was that way.