View Single Post
Old 04-21-2004, 03:42 PM   #1
Gypsy2222

Born a Goth or Made a Goth?.....

Ok.... I dare to broach the subject and it may prove to be my undoing.... lol...

I have run across several Ideas on exactly what makes a goth a goth... the opinions range from psychological trauma to genetic inclination, from music to philosophy... So I dare to ask. What do you think makes a goth a goth?.....

My personal opinion is fairly firmly entrenched along the lines that "Goth" as a subculture is a category one falls into by their basic nature. The primary prerequisite being the need to be different from societies norms in that one feels the need to create things that might be considered dark in nature by normal society... hence being ostricized by the creation of such dark "art". All things I would consider goth seem to fall into this by default, from music to art, from prose to witty conversation and sardonic humor.....

Goths as a whole seem to be extremely diverse in aptitudes, philosophies and taste, but they seem to all carry the same one basic trait, the need to create or the appreciation of dark thing... poetry to fashion... Hence I would propose that goths, by and large, are born gothic as it is in their nature to be, create and/or appreciate dark things, and that very rarely (if ever) does one become goth... It would be more truthful to say that one discovers ones own "inner goth" and from that day can put a title or label (if they choose) upon their own nature... I do believe that there are several who would call themselves goth because they dwell on dark things due to psychological trauma, but does dwelling equal appreciation?... I would think not, however it could also be argued that such psychological trauma simply awakens ones latent inclination to innately create or appreciate dark things, yet in this case it still remains that the inclination was there in the first place... Hence supporting that one is born goth as an ideal.

I would even go so far to say that free thinking is a necessity within the gothic subculture as well. As one goes through the stages of realizing that they need to create and/or appreciate dark things, one must realize that this is not within societies accepted norms... After this point they must choose whether to become open about their natures or become what I term a "closet goth"... either way, once they realize that they are not the same as everyone around them they generally tend to begin thinking "outside the box" in a concious manner (as opposed to unconciously, which they have likely been doing all of their lives, being that the need to create and/or appreciate dark things seems to be a trait from birth... though how and when it becomes developed varies greatly from person to person)

So to paraphrase... I believe a person is born Goth... That is why.....

If you agree or disagree in your votes please state your reasons either way.... thank you.....

Ever Questioning,
~The Gypsy~