View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduke_James View Post
Lovecraft sometimes gets comically racist, I'll agree with you there. But it is vastly problematic to disparage his entire catalogue because of this, nor indeed is there much reason to suggest that he was vastly wrong on many of these topics. Certainly he was wrong to an extent - and indeed, sometimes that extent is very big when he gets it wrong - but his actual positions often make sense.
The fascism or the notion of generational guilt?

Quote:
For instance: It is fairly apparent (see Paris Riots of a few years ago) that cosmpolitanism provides no foundation for society.
I disagree with this completely. I live in New York City, one of the most cosmopolitan places in the world.The communities here are closer knit and there's more camaraderie than any other place I've lived. It spans age, race, social class, and it shows: New York is the greatest city in the world.

In fact, it's the opposite: when a society to embraces xenophobia and nationalism, it's more often than not a recipe for stagnation.

Those who fear the mixing of races, classes, and ideas at best betray themselves to be neurotic cowards, and at worst outright fascists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote