View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #13
Archduke_James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
The fascism or the notion of generational guilt?
I don't think he was a Fascist. He was more an Anglophilic oligarchist.

Generational guilt in Lovecraft was more rooted in a certain degeneracy of bloodlines. He wrote a lot about what are essentially New England hillbillies. In fact, he identifies them closely with other types of hillbillies in one story (I can't remember one).

Notably, also, they're white. Lovecraft didn't just hate blacks or Jews (and he did occasionally hate both), but also white trash.

Quote:
I disagree with this completely. I live in New York City, one of the most cosmopolitan places in the world.The communities here are closer knit and there's more camaraderie than any other place I've lived. It spans age, race, social class, and it shows: New York is the greatest city in the world.
I'm also a New Yorker, amusingly enough, and I have to say I don't see what you see here. The reason is this: We actually live in fairly separated and segregated neighbourhoods. There is little sense of a broader community in NYC, but more an identity with individual ethnic enclaves. Although many communities are in a state of shift due to white flight (and white return, too) there is still notably Irish, Jewish, Italian, Chinese, Russian, Indian, black, hispanic, et cetera, neighbourhoods that are largely demarcated along racial-ethnic lines.

There are some common connections and occasionally an identity emerges in identification to the other (such as on 9-11), but really NY is fairly. Hell, there is even a lot of tension between the different boroughs, especially with us real boroughs and those suburban whippersnappers on Staten Island.

Plus, NYC nearly was torn apart at the seams due to racial and ethnic problems in the 60's-90's. It wasn't until the late 90's, really, that NYC quietted down on those fronts.

Oh, and baseball. That is one unifiying feature. Yankees fans are Yankees fans regardless of race, colour, or creed. Same with the Mets, but Mets fans are awful.

Quote:
In fact, it's the opposite: when a society to embraces xenophobia and nationalism, it's more often than not a recipe for stagnation.
I don't think we can call much of the Orient stagnant. Nor the Nordic countries.

Quote:
Those who fear the mixing of races, classes, and ideas at best betray themselves to be neurotic cowards, and at worst outright fascists.
Ideas aren't the issue here. All societies and civilizations require ideas to be fairly diverse by nature of discourse - although some ideas are, in fact, harmful. However, no society can exist when it has no identity rooted in some sort of common experience and culture.
Archduke_James is offline   Reply With Quote