View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #23
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus View Post
I'm all for treating it like more of a public health issue and less of a criminal one, but legalizing substance use sends the message that substance use is a socially acceptable thing to do, which in the case of highly addictive drugs it most certainly isn't.

Plus, I don't think bringing corporations and their marketing departments into the mix is going to help decrease the rate of addiction.

Alcohol is something that most people can consume in moderation, so I don't think that's valid comparison.
I'm willing to wager the numbers on Alcoholics vs tweakers is pretty close.

Legalizing them would NOT increase addiction levels, countries have legalized the drugs and in most cases addiction levels fell. For one thing, when people don't have to mix, cook, or prep drugs in their basement or car, things tend to be of higher and purer quality.

Ideally people wouldn't do it, but I'd much rather have someone buy pure, safe Coke from a licensed place than from shady banger in a back alley.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote