View Single Post
Old 04-02-2006, 03:49 AM   #8
Ben Lahnger

A TRIP TO TENERIFE - 06

Subject: Irish Pub
Date: 5th February 2006 9:53:03 pm

We kept asking at different stores we passed for a location to watch the Superbowl, and finally found Thatchers Irish Pub.

Business Card For Thatchers Irish Pub

Due to popular demand (us and one other couple) the pub will be tuning the satelite receiver in to the Superbowl for some "American-style" football. Here are a couple of pictures of the location. As I'll mention in more detail later, every square inch of real estate is at a premium, and businesses are built on top of each other.

Thatchers' Street Sign

View Of Thatchers Irish Pub From Street Level

(for the Gnetter's with enquiring minds, no, I did not get to check out the Club Vampis Discoteca. More's the pity!)

We are now 6 hours ahead of our homes in the United States, so the local start time of the game is 11:15 p.m. and the pub closes at 2:00 am (8:00 pm your time) but hopefully Pittsburg will have a decisive lead by then.

Go Steelers! (for my brother the renegade Steeler fan and Jerome Bettis.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We went to Thatchers' to watch the game. It was a unique experience. We got a seat right in front of the TV, so that was good. A pair of girls from Washington D.C were the only other serious watchers, although a few Europeans watched for a while trying to figure out how it was played and asking us some interesting questions.

However, there was an entertainer who was playing and singing Irish folk songs, so the sound was off at first. Once he finished up his show, the pub owner put the sound up on the TV, and I was enjoying the british accent of the surprisingly knowledgeable announcer on the UK satellite broadcast. But that's when a very drunk Dutch guy in his early 20's sat down in front of me and started talking to me ... a lot. He thought my San Antonio t-shirt was for some European soccer team, and so I had no idea what his drunken rambling was all about. So I had a hard time watching the game, until he finally got up and staggered away.

At halftime the power went out, and we missed The Rolling Stones halftime performance. One of the beer coolers was blowing a circuit breaker, so once that was sorted out, the TV came back on. But then the satellite could not be restarted, so we watched the broadcast on cable - Sky One - in Spanish!

Subject: Third Quarter
Date: 6th February 2006 2:06:59 am

Shortly after Pittsburg scored a touchown on the 75 yard running play, our friend in the Irish pub said he had to close ...

Boo hoo!

But ...

He told us of a 24 hour pizza restaurant where we could go to watch the rest of the game...

Yeah!

So we got here in time to see Seatle's answering score ...

Boo!

Here is the pic of Compostelana Restuarante and Pizzaria.

Compostelana 24 Hour Pizzaria

So we got to enjoy frosty cold Heineken for the first half and some delicious thin crust pizza for the second half. Pittsburg won so that was alright. YEAH!

Leaving the restaurant at 3:00 a.m. in the morning to make the long trek uphill to our hotel was a trip. We got stopped along the way by two guys handing out flyers with naked women on them. I don't know if the girls were dancers or hookers ... all I know is I was with my Father, so I quickly said "No Thanks!" and moved on. We made it home and were soon in bed and asleep.

PLEASE RESERVE COMMENTS UNTIL I COMPLETE POSTING ALL THE ENTRIES.
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote