Thread: Greeting ^^
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #57
Elystan

So is it just coincidence that black has been my first choice of colour for clothing since I had any option? That I suffer from frequent bouts of depression? That I'm very introverted and antisocial? That liminal states of consciousness are my thing? That I can't resist a girl with a crooked nose and thin lips?

I feel dirty dignifying this with a clarification but no I am not saying that one is born a goth.

But I do find that I am better able to relate to the works of some artists than others. Could this be because they're expressing an outlook more similar to my own?

Goth is a horribly reductionist term of course and it doesn't capture the nuances of personality people have. I find it difficult to relate to most self-identifying goths, but they're not really goths by the most stringent definitions, because they like to stomp along to Faderhead and Angelspit and get excited about Emilie Autumn concerts. These are however the people who constitute a subculture.

Is it any coincidence that the only person I know who shares my deep appreciation of the according to Hoyle iconic goth bands feels even greater revulsion than I do toward these the living breathing interacting gothic masses? Doesn't stop her being visually unmistakeable as a goth though.

I have often reflected that it's better to be the goth one in a bunch of cool kids than the cool one in a bunch of goth kids. Experience has borne this out. I can however admit that I'm a total cliche and chuckle to myself about not fitting in anywhere despite or perhaps even because of this.

At the very minimum I think an appreciation for intelligent forms of artwork can be indicative of a base level of intelligence, an attraction to melancholic forms of artwork can be indicative of melancholia, an attraction to disturbing artworks can be indicative of inner disturbance, etc.

So yes I believe that the personae people construct for themselves out of affiliation with sounds, imagery or literature can offer insights into that persons probable personality. And 'gothic' in this sense can mean any of a number of different things, some broad, some narrow, some more or less comprehensive, most ignorant; but why not paint the first few strokes with a broad brush?
Elystan is offline   Reply With Quote