View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
Versus

I should rephrase my question. "How has OWS addressed the concerns of non-whites about OWS? Where has that discourse come to?"

I appreciate the work you have to done to answer my question. I know you put a lot of effort into it, and I hate to bother you about it, but I don't really feel like you addressed it. I'm interested in the internal struggle to fight racism within the movement.

Quote:
There is a distinct difference between Occupy, and the Military (or a regular political movement or party). When a soldier “goes rogue” he is part of a mission with specific goals, he has a set of homogenized ideals he’s supposed to follow, and a command which he is obliged to obey which must also answer for its actions.
I could reference a few things that say otherwise, but I hope that at this point, that's not necessary. Is it okay for me to just say that it's not as specific as you think, and that my comparison was not inaccurate?

Quote:
So how the hell am I supposed to “create” an oppressive environment in Occupy Newfoundland, let alone take responsibility for it? I didn’t not let Saya get a word in edgewise. Occupy didn’t tell that guy to bring a People’s Republic of China Flag to the march for Danny Cheng. It’s not our fault that, when Adbusters gave Occupy its name based on the Occupied Factories movement in Argentina, they didn’t think that it had a different connotation to Native Peoples.
Because when OWS makes a mission statement or a general intent, it is OWS's responsibility when OWS does not adhere to it. I don't know if you consider other occupy pronouns as OWS, but I would assume so because you used Occupy Boston and Occupy The Hood as examples of what OWS has done to address the concerns of non-whites. I also think that you have to take credit for the crazies and stupids, too. I'm not really sure how you can have a consensus when their actions don't reflect the movement as a whole. I don't think there is a consensus like you think there is.

As far as what you're supposed to do about it? I don't know. I'm not an activist, and I don't have any experience with it. I'll try to look into it and come back with an answer, though. I'll tell you that "Nothing" isn't a good one, though. At least if you're interesting in drawing people to OWS.

Quote:
I am not overlooking this stuff. Nor are other members of Occupy. As you can see, this stuff has been addressed and will continue to be addressed.

What I am pointing out to you, Saya, and anyone else who bought in to the narrative that Occupy is just a bunch of racist, privileged white men flying the colors of revolution in an effort to reclaim their middle class and replace our current dictators with themselves, is that this narrative is a lie. Not only that, it is a lie of omission.
I'll get to this when I have a chance, but feel free to respond to the other jazz before then.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote