View Single Post
Old 10-14-2004, 08:14 PM   #7
TeapotScar

Re: World Politics and Ethics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .BatteryPoison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Purple_Stars
I would like to start by saying the FIRST offical free election count is underway in Afghanistan with about 75% of the population participating in the vote. No, I am sure it is not without it's problems and kinks but I think it is truly wonderful that a society broken by opressive religious rule for so long is finally allowed to have a voice of it's own.
Fucking A! I recently heard from a woman at a motivational meeting from the middle east (I'm not certain of her country of orgin exactly), but she was really hitting on the fact that most people here take the right to vote for granted, especially women in the US. I was just in awe of how powerful her words were and how much the basic right to vote meant to her - because it was a major sign of equality that just didn't exist for her before.

I can imagine many women in Afghanistan feel the same exact way right now.

With the Democratic government in Afghanistan having basically solidified, it's a major blow to the insurgents who have tried to prevent this from happening.
The first person to vote was a 19 year old woman.

I hope they figure out all of the flaws in that election, soon. I know the potential for an unfair election were high... people were obtaining multiple voting cards, and the only way they had to keep people from voting multiple times was ink on the fingers after they voted. The ink washed off in minutes, apparently. :?

But I'm glad they got to vote, for once.... for some- twice or three times... :?

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote