View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 03:27 AM   #108
Apathy's_Child

JILLIAN IS HUNCHED AND MUTTERING LIKE A MAD HERMIT, HIS HAIR EVEN LONGER THAN USUAL AND MATTED. HE IS UNSHAVEN AND HAS THE LOOK OF A MAN ON THE EDGE, EYES BRIGHT AND FEVERISH AND HIS ENTIRE POSTURE SUSPICIOUSLY DEFENSIVE. HE NARROWS HIS EYES AT THEM FOR A SECOND, THEN BREAKS INTO A SMILE.

Jill: Alive, you are! Oh, so happy to see it, I am – becoming every day more convinced I was the last human!

Jack: Huh?

Apathy: [translating] He’s glad to see us.

Jack: Oh... I get it... that’s cool. Good to see you too, dude. Wow, you’ve been rocking the facial hair, huh?

Jill: [crouching in the corner of the room with his back to the wall, staring up at them with manic eyes] Razors are for the bourgeoisie.

Jack: [shrugging] Sure, man. Whatever. Lookin’ sharp. [looks at him hopefully] Got any drugs?

Saya: Actually, Jilly, that IS a pretty impressive beard considering it’s only been like a week. How fuckin’ fast does your hair grow?!

Jill: As fast as the spreading of a beautiful idea. As fast as the uprising of an angry and abused populace. [raises a fist in conviction] As strong as the tides of social change when the people stand as one and declare that they will bear no more exploitation!

BEAT

Kontan: [examining Jill’s hair] So like, an inch a week?

Jilly: [shrugging] Give or take.

Apathy: Yo, Jilly. Do you know if anyone else made it? Any other survivors rattling around the building?

Jilly: [shaking head] All dead. Everyone in here is dead. They come and whisper to me.

Despanan: ... Oooo-kay... [lets out a low whistle and makes a crazy sign to the others, whispering] Seeing things. Ghosts and shit.

Jilly: [shaking head] Not ghosts. Ghosts are dead. I see the UNdead. We talk about anarchy. Well, I talk about anarchy and they listen. And grunt.

Apathy: [slightly unnerved by the weird shit Jill's talking] What are you still doing up here, Jill? Ophie and Vin saw you the day the zombies got in. Did you get trapped in the building? ‘Cause we came to save everyone. Don’t worry. We’ll get you out.

Jilly: [skittering over to the opposite corner on all fours like a crab with a shrieking, incredulous laugh, then sinking onto his haunches and bristling up at them like an animal] Out? No, no, no! I want to see what happens!

Apathy: [approaching him warily] Dude, seriously, you need to come with us. You’re going to die if you stay here.

Jilly: LEAVE? Leave my headquarters? Please! They won’t harm me. They’re my friends.

Apathy: They’re not our friends anymore, Jilly. They’re something else – something evil. And this is THEIR building now. We need to get moving.

Jilly: [angrily] NO! [skitters back to the other corner as Apathy approaches and tries to pull him to his feet] Not evil! Fight for justice, they do!

Jack: ... Wait, what?

Jilly: They’re agents of anarchy! They’re revolting!

Jack: [shrugging] Hey, man, I ain’t judging here. I’m fucking GREEN for godsakes.

J: No, no, I mean – look, how can you be so stupid? Learn something you could, if for a minute you shut up. Revolting, NOT as in gross, but as in undergoing a revolution. They’ve dissolved the power of the government!

D: [incredulously] Dude, everything’s on fucking fire! You been outside lately? All the goddamn buildings are BURNED, scorched, wrecked! Every good thing is GONE!

J: No, no! Looking at this all wrong you are.

D: [impatiently] Look Jill, you know I don’t speak Yoda.

J: [voice becoming petulant and shrill] Listen! Heeeeeeeeed me! [calms self as they all stare, nonplussed] The zombies came, and within 24 hours, it was all gone – infrastructure, superstructure, story structure, capitalist pig dog black-livered BASTARD structure of greed and evil – people are now sharing what they have, looking out for one another. Like you guys.

Jack: ... Actually, there’s something in that. [looks over hopefully] Like, I mean, you guys, if anyone DID have any drugs... I’m kinda dying here...

Saya: No one has any drugs, for crying out loud!

Jill: [clears throat ostentatiously] ANYWAY... [glares around until they are all staring at him strangely again] Gone, now, are all the great social evils. Coca Cola, Nike, Walmart –

Despanan: ... Clean drinking water, food and heated shelter, and, oh yeah - and the ability to walk the streets without being cannibalized by corpses!

Jill: [closing eyes with a beatific smile of wisdom] The People have had their fill of capitalism. They require something more substantial. Something they can put in their bellies. Each other. THIS is the naked face of capitalism, carried to its logical conclusion.

Despanan: [impatiently] Dude, that’s American Psycho. Now, that was an okay movie, but it really was nothing like this. Like, AT ALL.

Jill: No, no! Oh, please! All fit it does! The People, zombified by reality TV and relentless advertising and measures of success, have seen their true selves – and they are tearing it all down! They are [spreads hands dramatically, making his tattered sleeves hang like those of a sorcerer’s gown] the agents of anarchy!

Kontan: [annoyed] Look. This is dumb. The zombies aren’t people. They’re fucking UNDEAD. It’s not like I don’t agree that people are mostly a pretty stupid bunch, but the 85% of this society who were idiots would go home and jerk it to hot TV presenters. Maybe they’d vote Republican, or laugh at a racist joke on a Friday night out with their mouth-breathing buddies. The ZOMBIES, on the other hand, tear out your bowels and **** the hole while they eat your entrails. It is not the same thing.

Apathy: For real. This is not a symbolic perfect representation of capitalism, Jilly. It's a fucking disease that passes through the blood. We’ve all seen it happen.

Jill: Uh-huh so ANSWER ME THIS. Why then do you all co-operate with one another, if it’s not the best way of running things?

Apathy: [shrugging, still holding the shotgun at waist-height] I do it ‘cause I’m a magnanimous motherfucker. These dipshits wouldn’t last five minutes if I didn’t keep bailing their asses out. [camera pans over the group as they shrug and answer in turn]

Saya: ‘Cause Apathy promised to let me blow him after we save the world.

Jack: I’m just following the whiskey. [points to Apathy]

Despanan: And the shot-gun.

Kontan: I'm just here for the Lulz.

Sternn: I feckin’ HATE Republicans! [punches the wall] I’ll kill ‘em all and eat their hearts, just for the crack! [shadow-boxes violently at Jillian, who edges away, alarmed]

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote