View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #20
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haejin View Post
A:"This is one of thoese questions that makes a vegetarian/vegan roll their eyes. First you have to realize that not everyone will (can) go vegan at once. There would be a tapering off. And as fewer animals are needed, fewer would be forced to breed, until there were only a few around as pets and such. If the world went vegan all at once, there could be some problems. At first there would be far too many cows and chickens and pigs and so on, but eventually since the demand was gone, they over breeding would not happen and they would naturally thin themselves out. It would be a burden at first, but a burden that many would gladly accept."
One of the factors I'm considering is the fact that all these cattle, are bred for eating, we have over thousands of years been weeding out the genes that allow them to survive in the wild so we'll have cattle that are easier to handle. We've also been focusing on the genes that make them meatier, which would slow them down significantly. Those very genes would serve to make them more prone to staying in one place and focus on eating everything in that one area, which would be well and fine if we were still around to provide them food(which we wouldn't be in all likelihood). They would eat up their food supply quickly and be unable to find more. Look at the natural species of bovines, they have to go huge distances to survive. Then we have the predators.. suddenly you have these slow fat cows out in the wild.

The sudden shock of lack of food/survival instincts would be devastating I think. We have thousands of years of genetic engineering to the domesticated species, and they lack the sentience to overcome their disadvantages. Not to mention I don't even think their old original natural habitats have space for them anymore. Thinned or not I just don't think they're capable of going back.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote