View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 05:53 PM   #20
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Filth
Better elementary than pedantic. Off the top of my head too. I've never read Hamlet either. You do one.
I too can write a bullshit 'analysis' of a play, that vacillates between using words to say nothing and being flat out wrong, off the top of my head. Also, are you bragging about having never read Hamlet? Bravo, dude, you're uneducated. May I ask how you know whether or not it ROCKS then?

If you want to fucking challenge me, fine.

While Shakespeare's Hamlet is focused primarily on the struggle of a "little man" to actualize himself in conversation with models and myths of masculinity, the nearly boundless thematic breadth of The Bard's most enduring drama ensures that feminists scholars are hardly at a loss for material of relevance to their field. Consider Gertrude, who marries the brother of her late husband, Hamlet's father. According to the paradigm in which the protagonist operates, this woman is a treacherous whore, guilty of incest, but a judge less blinded by a medieval conception of gender might indeed see fit to acquit her. She is, by no account, aware of Claudius' hand in the death of the departed king, and so cannot be judged to share his culpability for that bitter crime. She might be rebuked as ambitious, but there exists no reason to assume this when that she feels true attraction to Claudius is equally plausible. A level-headed ruler who employs diplomacy rather than pursuing bloodshed at every opportunity would doubtlessly be a refreshing change from her prior husband. Is Gertrude to be condemned, or is she merely a modern woman trapped in the form of a medieval Danish queen, taking steps to have what she wants, to be with whom she wants? Shakespeare himself weighs in on the issue, when Hamlet's father stipulates that his son's vengeance not extend to the queen-- by the Ghost's own word, he is "For the day confined to fast in fires/Till the foul crimes done in my days of nature/Are burnt and purged away", and only God could have pardoned him from purgatory to spur his son to vengeance. Gertrude is absolved by the highest judge.

I'm bored now, but I could go on if you're not moved. What I wrote isn't quality or anything, but it has 70 times the merit of that bullshit you spewed-- this is what comes 'off the top of' intelligent 'heads'.

Quote:
You're so jaded and cool!
Indeed, I am jaded and cool, but your homunculus expressed a desire to 'save the internets', which is certainly not a behavior a jaded person would enact. Perhaps you don't know what jaded means? This may be a consequence of your 'I haven't read Hamlet, so I'm cool!" problem.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote