Thread: Supernatural
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #38
Ben Lahnger

I can't say I disagree with any point you make, and I'll admit that I watch it as a guilty pleasure while making a lot of allowances. It's true it has at its core the potential to be much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
Seeing something like that is somehow more frustrating than watching something with no redeeming features whatsoever.
I find by definition that is rarely true for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
Whew, that was long. Still, considering I only persevered with something I probably would have quit on by halfway through episode 2 on the basis of the praise given in this thread, I’m now a man of many grievances.
Well, to be fair, Depsanan did a pretty good job of detailing the program's shortcomings up front, and said he liked watching the show in spite of them. And it may be that I have a different perspective since I started on the thing in the middle of season three and did notice when I cycled around to the first episodes that they were a bit weaker (the bit about the death of Sam's girlfriend being so quickly forgotten struck me badly too), but I wouldn't say the peripheral characters get treated any better in later episodes. They just don't always resort to the chick of the week. And they get away with not exploring the relationship between the brothers time and time again by dodging behind the old "We're men and we don't talk about our feelings" line, and that always has bothered me. But I still enjoy it ... for what that's worth.

I am sorry you felt like it wasted some 280-odd minutes of your time. No, not felt ... it was a waste of your time.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote