View Single Post
Old 01-22-2016, 01:53 AM   #5
Stormbringer

I hung with the wrong crowd by the sound of it. None of my old group of friends would have taken part in anything like that - their loss. In fact I doubt if most of them would have been able to bring themselves to read 'literature' even if their lives depended on it.

Once when I was in my later high school years, one of my not so close friends organised a big outing to one of Adelaide's national parks. No big deal, just a park an hour out of town with tennis courts, picnic areas, wildlife and easy hiking trails. He invited all our mutual friends and most of his extended family and part of the plan was for everyone to play tennis......He rang me and I agreed to go, then he asked me, "Who would you like to play tennis with?" My answer was, "No one, I'll be quite happy reading a book in the shade."

So that's just what I did. He told me later that one of his female relatives had noticed that I was on my own and reading, and obviously missing out on the delights of tennis. He said to her, "Oh he's quite happy, he's a poet." It was the beginning of the time when I was finally freed from peer group pressure and the start of my friends really accepting me as someone different, as an eccentric and, dare I say, as a decadent.

The people I grew up with were mostly very different to me - I was the only really creative and cultured person amongst them and it took some of them a long time to accept that we really had very little in common. As it turned out we gradually drifted apart and now I only have a couple of really close friends, and my ex who probably knows me better than anyone. Funny you should mention tampons - her ex husband had serious hungups about the whole menstrual thing. Serious issues. So being able to talk about it when we were together and even now without me running out of the room or yelling at her as he used to do, is something that she appreciates.

At work there's no one like me either and I like it that way. If ever anyone has a question about any of the many arcane subjects I'm into they seek me out and ask me. I'm a little like the village shaman I guess and the village can only have one shaman.

Don't ever worry about offending me either Pri - can't be done.
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote