Thread: Maoism
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #56
Alan

Sorry again, it took me a whole week to come back to this thread this time.
Well, the Cultural Revolution ended in 1976 and Mao did die in that same year, but Mao had actually tried to 'officially' end the Cultural Revolution within his lifetime. It still kept going even after Mao didn't want to, and even by Mao's wife herself. So the end of the Cultural Revolution as we know it is linked to Mao's death because that's the opportunity the Communist Party seized to put on trial the Gang of Four.

Your two questions, in my opinion, should be cut up and pasted into one to understand the full extent of that going beyond which I'm talking about. They didn't go far enough in the principles they espoused, not to gain support of the military, but to have more military power than the military. It was a part of Maoist principle that the military should not be separate from the civilian population. This doesn't mean that the military should just in principle support the people, but rather that an official and bureaucratic military branch shouldn't exist, and that people themselves are the military branch.
This, interestingly enough, echoes a lot of the sentiment of right-wing libertarians about how the United States should be armed by militias and so on. The principles of Maoism and the real examples of pretty much all Latin America just shows the real consequence of such an espousal of guerrilla civilian movements, instead of pretending these right-wing gun nutjobs could honestly mobilize as egotist individuals against a state without having class consciousness.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote