View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 09:54 AM   #24
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elystan View Post
there's a 1982 edition which is apparently still relevant to modern psychiatry.
It is only relevant in the same way that Freud is relevant, which is to say that they are examples of where we were and not where we are, our understanding of the human mind has changed quite drastically from what it was in the 80s, especially our understanding of emotions.

Quote:
"psychopaths are normal people who lack emotions but simulate them brilliantly"
this is applicable to more than just psychopaths.

Quote:
"Well it's not they lack emotions, but they lack remorse".
Actually it isn't so much the fact that they lack remorse or emotions that makes them a psychopath, it is the urge to act in a way that they know society has deemed immoral, if they were just lacking in emotions and remorse then they would be a sociopath.

Quote:
I can't say I particularly feel remorse for anything I've done in my life. Is that abnormal?
Yeah it is abnormal but most people find it really surprising what a large percentage of people are sociopaths (not that this makes you a sociopath) so not feeling any remorse is fairly common.

Quote:
Do I understand that other people have emotions? Yes. Do I understand it on a deep emotional level rather than simply an intellectual one? What does that even mean? Does the fact I need to ask mark me out as psycho?
That means that you don't have a normal emotional response, which in and of itself is not indicative of any particular syndrome/disease/condition/disorder/whatever.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote