Thread: Iraq Revisited
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 03:46 PM   #171
TSW|Abaddon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
You continue to claim you 'saved innocent lives'. Would that include the 655,000 that died so far thanks to you 'saving' them?
Well its no suprise that you quote a rediculous "survey." I'll take it that you never majored in Statistical analysis in college? Here is why that survey is total psuedo-scientific junk:

First off we have the use of geographically contiguous cluster sampling. Not only can cluster sampling lead to innacurate results, checking clusters in one contiguous location in a war zone is the absolutly worst way to go about collecting statistical data. The Lancet Survey even says that they go into little detail about how the person actually died. By not taking into account airstrikes, insurgent "death squads", or the quality of the local infastructure you have no basis to extrapolate what is happening in any one area. It's like trying to find out how many people are murdered in the US by checking the murder rate in the inner cities of New York, Chicago and Los Angeles then expanding on that to include the whole nation. Your results would be so far off it would be comical. This is exactly what that sampling does.

Second the governates that were chosen were done so with a high degree of bias. If find it convenient that out of a "random sampling" they chose the worst combat zones and ignored less violent areas. Not only that but they combine similar governates based on violence in an attempt to gather further data. Once again not taking into account military actions the idea of combining like zones on the basis of violence is a poor method of collecting statistics. Without knowing how the military was operating at the time you can't gather proper data. Simply put it's like blaming somone for an action that they couldn't have done because they weren't even in the area.

Lastly the CI for the survey is only 95% That may seem like a lot to a layperson but in reality its on par with guessing. Hell even the survey says that the death toll is anywhere between 392,979 to 942,636. Even with their bias attitude towards data collection they can't get a reasonable estimate. It's like if you went to a used car dealership and you asked for an estimate on a car and they said "Well it's somewhere between $4,000 and $96,000. Tell me with a straight face that that's a reasonable estimate.

Finally the survey makes no atempt to catagorize who died. They lump insurgents, police men, soldiers, and civilians all into one group. That alone makes the survey useless. Even the survey admits that the majority of deaths are from sectarian violence and not direct US action.

In reality the death toll is a fraction of what they say it is. You don't even need to look to America for the statistics, the Iraqi Ministry of Health has a good grasp on how many people are actually dying.

Anyways I'm hungry after intellectually handing you your arse so I'm going to go eat. I'll be back later to show you the other falsehoods in your debate. Hey if your gonna piss on my grave the least I can do is show you how grossly uninformed you are
TSW|Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote