Thread: Rant Thread II
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2015, 04:58 PM   #8725
Stormbringer

Politeness, regard for the feelings of others, empathy and courtesy are a big part of what make us a society, indeed it is these things that make us a civilization.

It goes without saying that we all want to be treated with respect and so we must first treat others with respect.

If people are nasty to you on the net, nothing works better against them than the cold shoulder; unfriend them, block them, cast them into the abyss of irrelevance.

As goths, I feel we are in a special position to demonstrate to society at large that we are kinder, politer and, the men amongst us, more chivalrous than most. If only to reassure people that although we might look different we are none the less valuable members of society worthy of their respect.

I read The Lady of the Manners (Juillian Vernters) excellent book "Gothic Charm School" years ago and It confirmed what I already believed.

No matter if you are on the net, at the supermarket, at work or in a family that might not understand you, courtesy, politeness and regard for others always have a place. At work I always thank people for the slightest courtesy done me, and go out of my way to open the door for our delivery staff or if I see someone that needs help, I help them if I can. I use 'old fashioned' phrases such as 'may I,' or 'would you be so kind as to' or 'may I be of assistence'. That's just how I am, I'm not suggesting everyone adopt this mode but it amazes some of our new staff. One of them once said to me, "You're like someone from a bygone age...." That made my day.
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote