View Single Post
Old 11-02-2004, 04:48 AM   #83
CptSternn

I lived in the states for over 15 years. Lived all up and down the east coast, from Miami to NYC. Also lived out in San Fran/LA on the west coast fer a while, so I didn't 'cut an run' until bush took office.

Being a world traveller (just because I lived there doesn't mean I didn't take a few weeks off every quarter) I have been many places and seen many things.

My point is this, in america, the people who are so gung-ho on war, and passing laws against other countries, and supporting a government whose policies directly effect the lives of people in other sovern nations have absolutely no idea how those people are living.

I mean, people are like 'bomb iraq/afghanistan' to make it better and more democratic. Like the current bush/kerry election, not all people had a problem with sadaam. Not all people in afghanistan had a prbolem with the taliban. Some people had issues with both leaders, but liked the way of life and their standard of life much better than they do now. It bothers me to see people across the world telling people in a seperate sovern nation what is best for them. They are not children, and they sure as hell don't need a lesson on morals from the country that brought us OJ Simpson, Scott Ptereson, The lady who drowned her kids, Enron, Haliburton, and a dozen other national fiascos.

The way of life in those countrys will not permit such travesties. Their way of life parallels their religion, so its not a problem for them. This whole thing reeks of another 'crusade' - if you remember bush used that term in his first speech before starting any war and was quickly told not so say it again. Anyone here remember the crusades? When white Christian men decided they knew what was best for the middle east and started a war? Anyone remember the outcome? After years of pissing away monies and losing many lives, they pulled out and called it quits.

You can't legislate another mans morality based on the way of life you currently lead. I mean, why is the US trying to better the way of life in Iraq when there are over a half million homeless people running around their own cities that need help? Every hour of every day in the US a family declares bankrupcy because they cannot pay a medical bill (national statisttic from 20/20 and wahsington post). This year alone tens of thousands of people have lost their life savings and pensions due to stock market scams by billionaire CEOS, who have only recieved a slap on the wrist while the families of those effected have gone hungry.

And why is it the US thinks this way of life if better than ones elsewhere and wants to force it upon other nations by bombing them until they submit to having a starbucks on every corner and a mcdonalds on every street?

When I lived in Thailand, I learned alot. I learned first, you can live like a king for about $6 a day (US funds). I also learned that money and all the materialism you see in the states is no important. I lived in a hut on the beach, no running water, no electricity, but it was grand. The people were real, you could depend on them. Your neighbors were always stoppping by to help and say hello. This mentality exists today all over Ireland (with the exception of possibly Dublin), but with all the 'creature comforts' of the states (ie. digital satellite TV, broadband access, and plasma screen tvs).

I just get irked when I see americans justifying why they are trying to change someone elses way of life. I mean, isn't this a goth messeage board? Would people here be pissed if a man came here and said, dressing in black is wrong, and you need to change - you will be better off, be able to get a better job, have a higer standard of life, etc.?

If anyone is saying this, its the american republican party - who is against gays, gay marriage (so are the dems, but they dont want a constitutional ammendment against it), social welfare programs, etc - things that effect about 90% of the people on this board. Hard to see why people support a group that only has about 10% in common with it. And that 10% (ie. war/security) was CREATED by the repubs in the last couple of years. Anyone remember this being an issue during the gore campaign? No. They knew bush had nothing to offer, so they created a false threat and now offer to protect you from it.

Anyone ever read Khafka? OR Stalin? They both have many essays and books on this very subject. Tis the route all dictators take - find a threat, galvenize your people against the threat, and rule without question. When there is no threat, create one.

Barbarians at the gate people.

Slán
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote