View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #10
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf moon View Post
Savannah and Atlanta are located in Georgia... but they're not culturally the same as the rest of the state.

I have mixed feelings about all this publicity. On one hand, if all of the articles and the publicly released evidence are accurate - an awful thing happened. On the other, people are unfairly convicted (even executed) all the time. Why don't we get upset and try to change the system, rather than trying to work the system to save the life of one particular person who just happens to have more celebrity support than others? It bothers me that so many otherwise apathetic people get upset about one thing, then stop caring once it's over. All the retweets and wristbands... it's a man's life, not a trend. He was convicted almost 20 years ago. Why are we just getting upset now?
There's no death penalty here, so I don't really know why people didn't care until now and I certainly only hear of the cases that reach Canadian news, but the desperation of the situation and his likely innocent is a pretty big reason. Not everyone supporting him was necessarily anti death penalty, you didn't hear much about the white supremist guy who got killed the same day for murdering a black man, although the comparison between the two cases are interesting. In one, you have a legal lynching of a black man, where the victim's family actively lobbied for his death, in another, a guilty man who murdered in cold blood, but the victim's family lobbied for his life. But its easier to point out in this case that "hey, we probably killed an innocent man and this is terrible" than saying "capital punishment is wrong all the time." Its way easier to make Davis's case one that demonstrates the horror of the death penalty than it would for the other.

Plus, there was the torture aspect of it as well. They used a drug not meant for humans, and while they stalled his sentence for four hours, they kept him strapped to the gurney.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote