View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #21
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
Legend of Korra is REALLY fucking weird.

Everything about it is disappointing me so far as what they're trying to talk about.

I really don't like how they're depicting the benders as bourgeois and those without bending abilities are called "equalists".

So far, this reeks of defending the status quo and the "equalists" are so far a fucking caricature of real social struggles. It's like Reddit wrote the scripts.
"You're oppressing yourselves!" Has to get an award for most douchetastic writing in a kid's show this year.

I'm almost willing to give The Last Airbender a bit of a pass on the violence thing in that its kinda rare for a kid's show these days to take kids seriously enough to let them get it. Like Batman TAS left a lot of ambiguity regarding Batman's technical pacifism, and sometimes whether he was a good guy at all (like when Dick leaves to become Nightwing, Bruce is overbearing and insufferable.) Its kinda why I like Gargoyles a smidgen better, just for the fact in the first few episodes they think nothing of picking up enemy soldiers and dropping them to their deaths.

I remember being horribly disappointed when Fox Kids dubbed Shaman King, I used to read the manga in Shonen Jump and the manga was very much all about redemption and non-violence, at least as far as I read, but the English dub made it all "its like Pokemon, except they use ghosts!"
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote