View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #14
EV Belluche

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
Oh I fully expect that kind of explanation. However, that's more hearsay than even the bible is. That is just flat out making shit up. It even makes sense. But it's not up to the apologist to fill in the gaps because they technically can't because their explanation would be just as relevant as mine and both equally true. I could insist that the angel of death decided to drag his corpse back into the temple, and his dead body took the silver and bought the field. It's just as likely as talking snakes, magic apples, virgin births, and talking burning bushes. It's just as weird.

We could even say that the priests indeed bought the field with Judas's money so he bought it by proxy. But you see, that's silly. If I'm dead and one takes my money and buys a car with it. It's not like I was responsible for making the purchase.

Nah, I get you with that. I rarely argue with them, so I kind of go after the authoritative source material quite a bit. I understand the bible has a lot of problems. But it's not enough to say that, it has to be shown. If you can show it, it makes it harder to believe. Then again, some people are crazy.
I think the best way to interpret the bible is as a non sequitur. Not necessarily out of retardation on the author's parts, but yes, the butchering adaptations and alterations that are made over time... basically what emeraldlonewoulf said.

However, I'm not convinced the parables were ever meant to be taken literally anyway. There's blatant symbolism in all of its stories. It was written from a symbolic perspective. The problem is when people begin believing it as literal TRUTH...

It's like telling the story of, idk, the ugly duckling or something. Yeah there's possible truth in the moral... but if people went around proclaiming these ducks existed, and everyone needed to believe it :) Well they're missing the point entirely
EV Belluche is offline   Reply With Quote