View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #176
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharis View Post
I'd still prefer a firemans lift or a frogmarch. Or if the officers back may be hurt by carrying weight, the institutional pinch.
I'm sure you would have preferred that, though I suspect you understand that wouldn't have done anything.

They did not move after being told to move. They did not move after being physically pressured to move. They did not move after being told the police were going to use pepper spray. They even did not move after the police used it. It was only after the police used it and physically moved them that they got up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO4406KJQMc

Quote:
(Can't find a definition for that; but it's a compellingly uncomfortable grip on the pressure point/muscle under someones armpit, which with minimum force and very easily allows you to force someone to walk. Basically it's a restraint technique, and if it sounds slow or ineffective just try it on some of the others in your platoon.)
Didn't work.

Quote:
If so - I don't deny that there has been and is racism perpetrated by the police, and neither do I condone it. Just because I denounce one thing doesn't mean I think another is okay.
But it obviously doesn't bother you enough to denounce it as well.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/oct/26/oakland-police-department-black-community

Quote:
True... but I do think it's possible that some may have panicked or lost their tempers. It happens.
I already said that.

Quote:
But the execution of that response should be watched and moderated.
It was.

Quote:
I don't know... It could be that different definitions apply to the Westboro Church demonstration. (I'm thinking of 'harassment' and 'hate speech'.)
You really can't call it anything else. Abortion clinics could call pro-life protests harassment. Hate speech is still expression.

Quote:
How do you think those changes are brought about? By protest and the support of the people. By agitating for change.
Again, I did not say they should stop. I just said that they should still be arrested for violating the law.

Quote:
Beating someone to death isn't the same as sitting in a park, even if passive resistance is involved in both.
It is the exact same crime. Don't be dense.

Quote:
I do understand the police were duty-bound to act, but I just can’t see beyond the sheer imbalance of power and the zeal with which they carried out their orders. I’m used to seeing police officers protecting the unarmed citizens.
I'm getting really tired of repeating myself.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote