Thread: Gothic Politics
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2006, 08:18 AM   #168
CptSternn

I stick by my apathy assertions. I think of MY local pub when I make those comments. Even in the states, I had a local pub, an Irish Punk Rock Bar to be exact (www.mccormaksirishpub.com). Yeah, I know you like the logo.

But like local pubs in Ireland, one thing you will notice behind the bar is multiple sheets and cans. There are list after list of various charities with their cans there for you to drop yer change in and lists selling lines for $1 so you can win a telly or a mountain biker or something for some cause. THAT is political. I mean, at Rosin Dubh in Boston there is a huge brass pot in the middle of the bar with FOR THE CAUSE written on it and they collect hundreds a day from tourists.

So, yes, everyone who goes out to the pub is being political on some level. You don't see this at say a rave/techno club, but those aren't locals. They are more like the hotel/resturant industry, merely providing a service for money, they don't get to know the patrons there.

Your local corner bar or pub would know the regular, they would share the same ideas and yes, they would be somewhat political. Goth nights are for the most part done in pubs and clubs that are much smaller than those big hip-hop house nights and are in more intmate environments. There are exceptions to the rule, but having DJ'ed across teh globe and across the states, I can tell you most g/i events are done in places that hold less than 300 people and usually everyone there knows everyone else by name. Like a local. A goth local, even though only one nite a week, is still a local for those who go. And they don't come in bringing charity sheets or cans, in fact, other than the blood drive that was on gothic.net a while back, I can't say I've even even seen a cause that was pushed by goth clubs, persons, or record labels.

And Clinton and his aides attended my gay sponsored events and fund raisers. IF there had been a gothic charity or fund raiser, I'm sure he or one of his aides would have been there. IF you would have been to any of those events, then you would have met Clinton or his representative and been welcomed, since they would have been a guest.

Ol gw hasn't even met with anyone from the NAACP. Ever. Sends a clear message there - you don't like me and I don't like you so feck off black people. Same message he sent to the gays with the idea of a constitutional ammendment.

But I am getting off topic. Bottom line is if you show up with a bucket or petition at a club and ask for donations/signatures, you will get them at most average pubs, bars, clubs. You won't find people even trying at goth events.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote