Thread: Gun free zones
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #147
x-deviant-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
My initial desire would be to teach a course in anthropology each semester starting from 7th grade to 12th. What I actually like about teaching anthropology is that it gives religious communities an avenue to have students learn about religions, cultures, different kinds of people, ect so that they don't go trying to invade in places they have no business being in like science classes. That sounds like an appropriate compromise and inoculates future generations from several different kinds of magical thinking. This could potentially break certain indoctrinations that kids are subjected to by the faith imposed on them. At least it gives them a chance to make educated decisions about society and their role in it without being force fed one world view.
I don't know of any public schools that still teach religion. I know that in Nevada nothing about religion of any kind can be mentioned in schools, which is fine on the surface but goes too far when it limits the areas of world history that can be discussed, which I think is bullshit. You can't learn about ancient Egypt, for example, without learning about their religion and culture, therefore those areas of history are avoided or grazed over in a sentence or two.

I like the idea of anthropology classes, as this could very well lead to an ease of racism as well.

I think teaching them how to read, write and count again would be a better start though.

What are your thoughts on the voucher system in conjunction with the reallocation of funding?
x-deviant-x is offline   Reply With Quote