View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 03:32 AM   #16
Versus

Quote:
So, you have made the claim that not just myself, but Occupy is racist and sexist. What sort of evidence would you accept to disprove this claim? I mean I've already brought evidence that minority issues are represented, minority voices are heard, and that this is reflected in our offical policy.
Kind of, yeah. Check it out. It might seem unfair. I'll try to explain. I'm sorry if I sound condescending, but I'm trying to make you understand why what you're calling evidence doesn't matter.

So prejudice is an irrational dislike of somebody, or a group of people, and when you hold them to a specific belief, typically a steriotype, that isn't necessarily true. I think everybody does this to an extent. But remember, it's possible to harbor these feelings and not act on them.

Discrimination is when you do act on that prejudice. That's not practicing racism or sexism. This is still the individual level.

Racism and sexism is when an entire culture acts on this prejudice from a position of power to such an extent that the behavior becomes the norm. When people do it consciously, unconsciously. It manifests in different ways, but the bottom line is that those who are in a position of power within their class are the ones least likely to recognize their position and the privilege it affords because they are within a society that benefits them.

I have privilege. You have privilege. Saya has privilege. There are some types that we share, and some types that the others have.

What you don't see is that when you hold the words of women and people of color against each other, it's practicing sexism and racism. Despanan, what you're doing is piting the input and opinions of minorities against each other and supporting those that suite you. You are supporting the subserviant ones. It divides the group and lifts you up. Can you see why you're practicing racism and sexism, now?

Quote:
What else can I do? Is it by virtue of the accusation alone that the entire movement is guilty of racism and sexism?
Yes. As a majority white, majority male movement, there is nothing you can do. You have all the cards and don't realize it. Every movement practices some kind of oppression. The black community has sexist. The feminist community has racists. All from the fact that they have some sort of power over another in an oppressive society that makes it normal.
Quote:
Where is your burden of proof Saya? Because you seem more than willing to dismiss any evidence to the contrary no matter what it is.
Why does she need to convince you that she feels discriminated? Why not just accept that and try to understand and change it for the better?
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote