Thread: Rant Thread II
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 01:01 AM   #8327
Solumina

My friend Mae offered me a job as a nanny, this is the same friend who wanted me to be her nanny before but went with someone else at the least minute. Well this time she begged me to be her nanny because her current nanny doesn't do nights or weekends and Travis (Mae's husband) is getting fleeted (totes his fault) which means he is getting sent to San Diego and will no longer be able to watch the kid when Mae is scheduled to work night and weekend shifts, which she has to do all of the time, like at least one day every weekend, sometimes both. I would hate to give up my weekends but I could use some income and I'd love to help them out. She offered me $480, the same that she is currently paying. I thought it was fair, less than one would normally charge if they had to work weekends but she will be picking me up/dropping me off, it's for a friend, I could do my laundry there, and I know Logan is a great kid. We met up for lunch today and talked out all of the details and told her that it all sounded good but I wanted to talk to Jake about it, which was kind of a lie, I mean I did but mostly I wanted to talk to her current nanny Jodi.

Mae knows that Jake knows Jodi's husband, she is not aware that Jodi and I are friends. Things went all weird before and Mae said a couple of things that raised little flags so I really wanted to get the scoop from Jodi to find out if Mae is just a little scatterbrained or if she is really problematic. Well as it turns out it is the latter. She and Travis have a habit of not treating it like a professional agreement, they are regularly late with payment, frequently expect her to extend her hours to accommodate them with little to no notice (Jodi runs a daycare out of her home so there is a set open and closing time), and that Logan cannot be left alone like at all, he seems to have some serious separation anxiety, as long as you are within eyesight he is fine but if you leave, just go around a corner he will throw a fit, at nap time you have to wait for him to go to sleep, it isn't a big deal for Jodi as he is always with the other kids but yeah that would be a pain in the ass. I also found out that that reasonable $480 is not $480 a week, it's $480 a month. To work at least 40 hours a week. That's less than $3 an hour. No nanny will work for $3 an hour and no daycare will accommodate her schedule, there is no way she doesn't know that. I guess she just thought I would do it as a friend but as a friend I know their spending habits, they can afford to pay a decent wage.

Fuck that shit.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote