View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #270
Heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
Again, it's a lot less work and more pragmatic to start a new thread. Plus, you'll have better luck keeping everyone on topic.
I'm beginning to believe you have the right of it. I had expected more people to join the conversation and contribute their thoughts. The relative silence leads me to believe that I may have been overly optimistic.

Quote:
If I thought you were trying to make a point anywhere near what the OP stated, I would agree with you on the broadening of the discussion.
I have not simply been jousting with you and talking about my fashion sense. I directly answered the question of "how to approach" a Black Goth, I have included comments on how I have been perceived by others both within and outside of the culture. Onxybat asked the question, and I have related an opinion based on real-world experience. That experience runs the gamut, from clueless babygoths to cliquish gother-than-thou poseurs to eldergoths.

It is in the possibility of broadening the topic along the points raised by the original questions that I felt value might yet be found here. THAT was the point I raised with you. Has it been made? Contrary to what you have said, I believe it has. Has the broadening I proposed actually occurred? It might yet happen, but I am increasingly pessimistic that it will.

Quote:
But after 10 pages of chaos and seeing you still cannot succinctly state what subject you are trying to discuss, I leave you to wrangle this rampant ox of a thread in whatever direction you might choose.
Is it really necessary to post a thesis statement when broadening a topic? Would that not be the definition of what you called 'threadjacking'? Isn't it enough to post an opinion on the response I and others have made to this thread? Isn't THAT the definition of organic growth in a discussion?

*sigh*

Never mind. I'd rather talk about the topic at hand than go back and forth in an off-topic argument over the legitimacy of the topic. If you actually have an opinion on anything I or anyone else in this thread has posted regarding African American Goths, I'd love to read your thoughts. As for the rest, you have your opinion and I have mine. If you are willing, we can agree to disagree and put a moratorium on the off-topic discussion.

- Heretic
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote