View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 05:16 PM   #53
Don't Look Behind You

Location: a russian, vienna-educated, living in the Netherlands. beat that.
wow i left a forum full of narrow-minded eldritch-worshipers and when I come back its full of people capable of leading intelligent discussions.

The opinion about how subculture is something vivid, defined by the collectivity of its members and not the members being defined by some set citerea is what I have been prophesising for severla years now...:P Its so difficult to not get worked up about this ridiculous subject.

It is such a breath of fresh air to see people like Man in Room 5 and Eclipsing the Son, among others, actually understanding what subculture, or culture for that matter, means.

In my opinion, goth is the term for a milieu, under which all, from oldschool deathrockers to cybergoth are united. As Man in Room 5 has interestingly pointed out several times, there are basic themes that reoccur throughout history and take on different forms during each era. But they are still connected.

Also, Utho made a wonderful anthropological analysis of the European goth scene. Seeing this, i think its sad that some still try defining anything as "real goth". Sure, there is a subculture based on gothic rock. its called Goth by its memebers. As any subculture, it has influences the outer world, has introduced it to some concepts that it readily took up and bam new subcultures emmerge ebcuase THE TIMES FUCKIN CHANGE.

how nice it is to be back on g.net
--If you want to love me you'll have to love my shadow. This black creature that is stuck to my feet and that hates the light whithout which it wouldn't exist. Sometimes, I think it is more me than I am. Please be gentle as you make my shadow white.

-- On soft pillows you won't ride into eternity and spilling your blood you won't get out of eternity again.
Don't Look Behind You is offline   Reply With Quote