Thread: Sexuality
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2006, 09:37 AM   #811
Ben Lahnger

I think the thin line between disarming the evil or negative connotation of a word and disrespecting other's needs or rules (observing the content regulation the networks must of necessity engage in so some Mother in Kansas isn't forced to explain to little Johnny what the word he just heard on TV means) is important to recognize and respect. The feminists have an overall noble cause, but I believe in this instance they were wrong.

By the way, I think it bears mentioning that offensiveness is in the ear of the beholder. And the world is increasingly populating with very thin skinned people. I am one of those people that will argue vehemently about the importance of using language correctly. But in this life that sends so many real difficulties our way, I think too many people spend too much time and energy fighting battles over words. Yes, sometimes words are very important, but most of the time these things are not worth the breath it takes to argue them.

I think I heard this quote in a Simpson's or Family Guy episode:

"Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me. Well, unless they're engraved on a granite slab and thrown at me."

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote