Thread: Kony 2012
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
AshleyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I wouldn't say the alternatives are no better, its just that the current Ugandan government is just the lesser evil and we probably shouldn't settle for that.

There must be solutions, such as helping Ugandans who are already there and understand the problems better than anyone, interloping instead of helping doesn't seem to be it.

PS since posting here I've witnessed on facebook, twitter and tumblr white people getting mad at Ugandans and people of colour for pointing out the colonialist attitudes displayed. Seriously, on the local facebook event after a Ugandan man pointed out no one here attends the fundraisers we've had for Uganda, and the situation is a lot more complicated than IC is saying, a white chick called him a moron. A MORON. Clearly she knows better than people who lived this all their lives because she just saw a half hour youtube video. I'm tempted to start a colonialist activist tumblr to record this shit, its distressing.

This is why I don't want to touch this thing with a 10 meter pole. I don't know the entire story, therefore I feel it's unfair to march forward until an understanding of the situation is established. While Kony deserves justice, I think it's prudent to remember that autonomy is paramount.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote