View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #200
AshleyO

This was one guy's reply:

"There has been ONE case of **** by an Occupier against another Occupier. All the other cases did not involve Occupiers as the rapist, and some even involved Occupiers as the victims! Claiming Occupy is racist is the most ridiculous claim ever, there are anti-racist (along with anti LGBT discrimination, and feminist) working groups in nearly every Occupation. Not to mention that there are far more African-American Occupiers than there are African-American participants in that other movement. "

This was my reply:

"No I get you. I wouldn't be too quick to get mad yet.

However, this is an interesting thing, right? The media is painting this out to be a bunch of white privileged hipster kids. If they're targeting YOU as a white male, acknowledge their complaints, identify your privilege that they're accusing you of abusing and then don't use your privilege as a weapon for anything. The media is focusing on the whites in the group right now because they're using the idea that white privilege deserves no sympathy and they'd be right about that. So the object of the game is to recognize our privilege be it white privilege, male privilege, religious privilege, straight privilege, able-bodied privilege, ect and by being aware, be able to keep it in check and then they wont have anything to go on.

I'm not an outright accuser. But the accusations that they're making against Occupy such as this is simple. These are things we should AVOID AT ALL COST AT BEING. Therefore, take the critiques as constructive criticism and amend your behavior where the critiques may be relevant.

Take their accusations and use them as examples on what NOT to be. Perhaps YOU do not do this. Perhaps you're not aware of the privileges you have.

We must understand our cultural and social privileges AS WELL as the economic inequality of capitalism or else we can be more easily demonized.
"

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote