View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #225
x-deviant-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
If you want natural remedies then look to pharmacognosy,.
Never heard of that, but it sounds like something worth looking into.

And all of these examples given are good to keep in mind. Nothing should be ingested without learning about it first. For every plant out there there's bound to be somebody who has an allergic or adverse reaction to it. Plenty of people are allergic to aloe.

I could get eaten by a shark while swimming on the beach to treat my psoriasis (i have it on my knees and elbows), but that still is the best method I've found for treating it, and nothing any doctor has ever tried to do has made any difference with it. A few trips to the beach however, and the shit goes away for a couple years, like it was never there at all. something i discovered by accident. A friend of mine gets it really bad over his face and chest but goes to a hot spring once every 4 or 5 years up in the mountains and it clears it up.

But my point is not to try putting alternative medicine above scientific medicine, as they both have their drawbacks depending on the situation. The point is that some people, quite a lot of people actually, don't believe in going the scientific medicine route because they don't want man-made chemicals in their bodies and would rather take their chances with the holistic approach, which is entirely their right to do, whether it is for spiritual purposes or otherwise. There are people who refuse to even take aspirin because they don't like the fact that it's processed by man. Regardless of how crazy that may be, it's their body, their choice. There are people who have not been successful with scientific medicine but have been with homeopathic medicine. There's a show running now on one of the cable networks that is all about people going to various parts of the world looking for alternative means to treat their ailments because clinical science has failed to do so. Some are successful others aren't so much. The episode I saw not too long ago was about some guys going to china, drinking snakes blood and craziness like that, but it seems to be a big market in china, so they must be doing something right. Traditional Chinese medicine is notorious for being able to find remedies for things western science is still kind'a clueless about. I'm sure it has its down side plenty. Maybe a lot of it is a placebo effect, which holds its own merits. Mind over matter and all that.
x-deviant-x is offline   Reply With Quote