View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #103
Saya

That comment bothers me too. I do have a working group of women and feminist activists. My collective has been around since the eighties, the sexual assault crisis centre where I volunteer has been around since the seventies, there's various groups around town who are just as old or even way older. We were here a long time and we'll be here still when Occupy is gone. Quite a few tried Occupy but had the same misgivings, but you know what? We do got each other at least, and can continue on like we've always had, even through times where activism isn't trendy. Why would we go occupy Occupy? Wouldn't you dismiss that as divisive?

The "waves" of feminism idea only works if you think its the mainstream white feminist movement that counts. The Audre Lordes and the bell hooks of the world kept on fighting when the Betty Friedans of the world felt comfortable, felt the battle was done, and even felt feminism went too far because women cut their hair short and own computers. It is through no fault of the Audre Lordes that the Betty Friedans were selfish assholes.

Also, regards the "Now they finally are." No, its not finally. They've pretended too lots of times before. I don't know if you know this but activist movements, even large ones! Have existed before.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote