View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #26
Elystan

Thanks for the reply. I have questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Actually it isn't so much the fact that they lack remorse or emotions that makes them a psychopath, it is the urge to act in a way that they know society has deemed immoral, if they were just lacking in emotions and remorse then they would be a sociopath.
I guess this must be a pretty fluid boundary owing to the variety in societies and their moral standards. It's the grey area that I feel most at home in. I don't like the idea of violence, not least because it's a stupid thing to do even from a self-serving perspective. But I think I do (entirely legally) hurt peoples feelings a fair amount.

Quote:
Yeah it is abnormal but most people find it really surprising what a large percentage of people are sociopaths (not that this makes you a sociopath) so not feeling any remorse is fairly common.
Yup. I've now moved on to the second feature of discovering a disorder on the internet by wondering if other people have it. With something like this, it would be very difficult to know how prevalent it might be.

Quote:
That means that you don't have a normal emotional response, which in and of itself is not indicative of any particular syndrome/disease/condition/disorder/whatever.
But AM I CAPABLE OF LOVE? Ah, woe. And what is love? Baby don't hurt me.

No but serious, thanks for the input. I know very little about the state of modern psychology, so any clearing up of misconceptions is appreciated. I don't think I qualify for antisocial personality disorder. I tend to err on the side of righteousness most of the time, because safe is better than sorry. I can identify times when I have slipped up, which is probably unavoidable for any but the downright saintly, but I've never.. felt myself to be an unworthy person because of it? For example, I did think I had fucked up in getting kicked out of school, but that was more the getting caught.

This is all very confusing.
Elystan is offline   Reply With Quote