View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 06:03 AM   #19
Versus

Not exactly. The argument that Desp is making is that, while he recognizes that occupy has problems here and there, he doesn't believe that he, or the movement itself, practices sexism and racism.

To speak nothing of the movement, while Desp is not racist or sexist, he is nevertheless adhering to it.

OWS is, according to the extremely conservative survey, 61% Male and 68% White, while NYC is 48% Male and 44% White. He's using "My friend is a woman, my friend is a person of color" as evidence that occupy is representative - a common excused to fall back on.

When Saya pointed out that he is ignoring the numerous instances of **** culture and racism, all legitimate criticisms, his reponses ranged from exercising his privilege to either make it about himself, pass the responsibility off to the individual perpetrators with a "no true scotsman" fallacy, try to justify that other movements have similar problems as if that makes it okay, blamed the media for exaggerating or blowing those real concerns out of proportion to marginalize their meaning, and down right ASK FOR PROOF instead of acknowledging that, from his privilege, he might not recognize these instances of sexism and racism.

And that's just the top of my head on my cell phone.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote