View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 03:27 AM   #96
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky Spencer View Post
I guess a better question is, do those comics sell? If they do, wouldn't there be more of them? And if the one's they make don't sell well, why would anyone want them to make more that don't sell or aren't very good?
You're assuming simple market forces will get the job done. It's not the only factor. As Saya demonstrated, when a well-written story comes out with a strong female lead, it sells very well. The problem is, most of the writers don't know how to write female leads well, and at the end of the day a story sells more based on how well it is written, not just on who it is about.

The same dynamic can be seen in movies. There are huge African American and Latino audiences for movies in the United States, but very rarely does someone come out and produce good films that interest those markets. Tyler Perry has created a whole market segment by himself, and Hollywood has noticed ... but they seem incapable of duplicating his success.

It's not just as simple as thinking, "Hey, there are a lot of female readers out there. Let's make some chick comics now." They have to find creators who are up to the task. One of the problems with the current DC plan is they've reassigned some of their strongest talents at writing good female leads to writing male dominated comics.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote