View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 05:31 AM   #78
Wraith235

I've been thinking of a lot about the Occupy movment and I think that there is something that they have been butting up against that nobody wants to talk about.

I'm not sure if I can articulate it well but here's a shot.

In any population you can divide people up into three groups. People that by the rules of the population are "high achievers", people that are "average" and people that for whatever reason either cannot or do not work with the rules of the population. These categories, btw, are almost completely arbitrary. For example, in the middle ages banking was considered pretty questionable and the idea of charging interest was considered a very serious sin(usury). Today, as we all know, bankers and interest chargers are "high achievers" by the rules of our population.

The thing is that for whatever reason, the population of the United States seems to produce a whole lot of people that either won't or can't live by the rules in the population and, unlike other populations, we don't seem to have a really good way to deal with that.

I think that the Occupy movements have attracted those people who can't or won't live by the rules of the population as they currently stand. I think this is just as imporant to call attention to as the extreme income inequality because we as a population need to see the problem of the millions(yes, millions) of people that our civilization can't or won't use.

Hopefully that made sense. It's been a long week.
Wraith235 is offline   Reply With Quote