Thread: Not-a-Goth Goth
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #69
Wynneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiUsAiDh
After reading this thread.... I have a completely irrelevant nit-pick to, uh, pick... Stop fucking saying '-smile-', '-grin-', or any other variation in parenthesis thereof, in every bloody post!
Is it against the rules? No? Well, then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiUsAiDh
P.S. Goth, as in this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goth
And Goth as in this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goth_subculture are not the same thing!
You're right. They're not. Goth_subculture is an offshoot of Goth, but not Visigoth. Oh... What's the URL of this site? https://www.gothic.net Right? Not goth_subculture.net or esoteric_goth_subculture.net? Just wanted to make sure that I was posting about the "gothic" topic in the right place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
And that history has shit to do with the goth subculture.
Actually, goth subculture has "shit to do" with the original "gothic" terminology of history--which is what I embrace.

Quote:
Andi Sexgang used to live in an apartment complex called the Visigoth Towers, and he was short, so his friends called him the Gothic Goblin.
Visigoth... Hmm. I seem to recall that word from history. But, I can see what you're saying.

Quote:
That name was assigned to his music fans and that's it.
Really? What about the millions of folks who came, y'know, before the 80's fanbase?

Quote:
We didn't "evolve" from a gloomy millennial style. No one fucking researched the connotations of the word "goth."
No. The esoteric goth music fans didn't evolve from anything except a post-punk 80's music fad. But, their nickname was ganked from the pages of history. -- Are you against research? I find that, if I'm uncertain about a matter, researching educates me on it and, thereafter, I am more qualified to make a statement upon it.

Quote:
It merely stuck.
Did I see someone say that they didn't even enjoy being labeled as "goths"? If so, why does the dying fanbase still cling so desperately to the label and fight tooth and nail to make sure everyone knows exactly where it "came" from and what it "means"?

Quote:
You don't think the Flower Children have everything to do with horticulture and they're just kidding themselves, do you?
I'm certain that many "flower children" did attempt to "live off the land," being the fluffy bunny peaceniks that they were. That's beside the point, though. What you're illustrating is that the name "Flower Children" was, at best, a poorly coined euphemism/nickname--it didn't accurately represent who they were, as people.

Nor, apparently, does "goth" fit the esoteric music fans of "goth" music.

Besides, I'm saying that I'm not an esoteric "goth," I'm more of an anachronistic gothIC. Why is that a thing that causes you distress? It's very clearly separate from "goth". In fact, that's what I've been striving to point out.
Wynneth is offline   Reply With Quote