View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #32
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Not to mention most other religions are perfectly fine knowing there's different accounts, so why can't Humane or any other moderate Christian? The message usually stays the same, and some contradictions are a matter of context and interpretation. Fuck, I'd be here for ages picking through contradictions if this was about Buddhist sutras. Or any other religion with a written text.
But the message does not stay the same. Moderate Christians are all well and good, until they elect a fanatic because he's "a good Christian" or vote against gay marriage because "They don't hate gays but the bible does".

Even here in Gnet, we've got folks like Tam Li Hua, who use it as an excuse to embrace bigotry.

The Bible, and Christianity as a whole is extremely concerned with salvation through faith, ie: rewards in exchange for blind submission to authority.

George Bush stated that Jesus was his "favorite political philosopher" and then invaded Iraq with no exit plan, at least partly because he felt that God wanted him to free the Iraqis, and God would see to it that we enjoyed victory.

Whether you like it or not, that book dictates and shapes public policy, and it's message of submission permeates Western society further than we can imagine. This is further enabled by billions of "Moderate Christians" who haven't even read it, and instead "have faith" because their parents told them they needed to or they'd go to hell.

Honestly, it's 2010, and reasonable people need to stop tiptoeing around the insanity inherent within the christian religion. The bible should be recognized for what it is: the helter-skelter scribblings of a bunch of pissed-off desert nomads; about as relevant to today's world as Greek and Norse mythology. Instead, it's a tool that dicates political and social policy for the entire united states and beyond, partly because people won't speak up against it out of politeness and respect for "moderate Christians".

Fuck that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote