View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #102
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
In order to move forward there needs to be a dialogue.
You say this but at the same time it doesn't feel like even here we have a dialogue, we have two competing monologues. Many of the questions asked aren't getting direct answers, I know part of that is that you love the movement and so you see everything wonderful about it and that can make it more difficult to see the ugly stuff, this is human nature so I get it but if it feels like we are harping on the same points over and over again it is because we don't feel like you are really seeing what we are trying to get across.

Quote:
Well for one thing when are these conversations happening? At the GA? At the at the spokescouncil? At the park?
First just with the protestors then I figured that there may be better luck at the GA but that was actually even worse. Since then I've also been at various events that Occupy Norfolk has been a part of and still very much felt pushed aside and looked down on by the Occupiers, even when the overall tone of the event was very inclusive.

I want to be clear that I'm not wanting Occupy to be better and more inclusive than your average political protest or whatever, the issue here is that my experiences with these Occupiers has been much more negative than with any movement that I can remember.

Quote:
Have either of you gotten together with other women and formed a working group? Have you brought feminists and like-minded people to the GAs? Have you Mic.-Checked them?
No, I didn't think it would be necessary, I never have in the past with other groups, many much larger than the crowd at the GA, and my experience was such that I don't feel that it is worth it for me to bother, especially as Jake did none of those things and people were more than willing to listen to him.
Quote:
There's a difference between criticizing and calling out discrimination, and extending that critique to the entire movement.
But if the movement is doing nothing to address those issues then I do feel that it is fair to extend the critique to the movement as a whole, mind you this is not to accuse every member of being racist or sexist but to say that for things like this to be allowed to become so prevalent is indicative of a very real problem that truly needs to be addressed.

Quote:
And NOW they finally are.
Only they aren't. Some of them are but as a whole not so much.
Quote:
But the revolution has to happen sometime and if OWS has "waves" like feminism, a lot more people will be hurt, *****, killed, exploited and discriminated against.
?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote