View Single Post
Old 08-29-2005, 05:14 PM   #37
edible_eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Yes, I know who all those people are thank you, and not one of them has ever, ever stated that US sovreignty should be handed to the UN.
nor will you ever hear them state such inclinations as plainly as you just did. remember john kerry's statement regarding "global tests"? that wasn't empty rhetoric - rather an indication of his party's view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter
Do I get to call you a fascist now?, grow up.
of course. call me whatever you'd like. and as far as the growing up thing - parts of my psyche have, parts of it never will.

Quote:
None of which I've done, you think your opinion of America matters either?, all that matters is your vote. However, some of us enjoy the free exchange of ideas even when they disagree, although I'm having trouble understanding why you resolve to childish crap like saying a democrat in the white house means foreign opinion has any effect on American policy more than when the republicans are in office.
democrats seek to have the area behind their ears scratched by the leaders of other nations. they need to be coddled and praised in order to make decisions. and a democrat in the white house WILL mean more foreign influence on american policy. once again - refer to kerry's "global tests" statement. or, even more recently, shall we turn to the democratic judges in the supreme court who turned to foreign law while debating what is and is not appropriate concerning juveniles and the death penalty? it's not childish - it's their platform, unless of course you're implying that the democratic party is childish for their beliefs?

Quote:
Maybe you should discuss the issues instead of being so left-obsessed.
i thought we were. you know - your opinion, my opinion.

Quote:
I'm not sure, there's inspired passion on the one hand, and this sort of left-obssesed brow-beating that certainly won't work with me. If you want to be passionate about it, be passionate about Bush's strong points.
obsessed? perhaps we're quibbling semantically, but i'd call it disgust. and to be sure, i WISH there were poignant strong points i could bring up on bush's behalf. in truth, he has let me down time and again. however, given the chance to do it all over again - bush vs. kerry - i'd still vote for him.

Quote:
Okay, then pretend I'm speaking them from the US if it'll help. My words mean what they mean regardless of location, they don't have an effect on your country, but I don't care about that, I enjoy civil discourse on the subject of US politics, which I'm absolutely facinated by.
ok, that's fair. i always enjoy a discussion - maybe i just needed to get that piece from you to figure out where your words were coming from.

Quote:
I do implore you to drop the outside the US and the browbeating stuff though, I can't really have a discussion with you otherwise, merely do the same in return, and I think that would be a shame.
i like this line mainly because you used the word "implore". that's a cool word used fairly often in britain-speak, i think. as for the rest of it - if you can forgive certain elements of my often abrasive personality (when i chat politics) then perhaps we'll trade ideas as time goes on. if not, well...
edible_eye is offline   Reply With Quote