View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #25
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haejin View Post
So what you're telling me is, we have to eat something, in order for it to survive and not go extinct?

The only thing I can think of working is that we wouldn't allow current cattle to reproduce...in whatever means possible. And they wouldn't be allowed to roam in the wild, but would need human protection.

As I read on one website

"would it be such a terrible thing if cattle did become extinct? If they have no natural habitat and are not currently serving the ecosystem in anyway, what’s the problem? The ethical response is that we just make sure the ones alive now live happy, healthy lives and when they die of natural causes, then they’re gone. It’s really not a huge, horrific loss if a genetically modified species** created by and for humans goes extinct. Really, it’s not."

As much as it saddens me to think of them going extinct.... you're right. They were genetically modified by us...

Think about it...
I say why not just keep eating them except in more moderation and start considering eating other meats such as deer, diversify our diets more. I quite enjoy trying different meats . We can also properly serve our role of the species at the top of the food chain by supplementing our supplies of meat with animals that need population control. Besides it's not like we're bottomless black holes, as nasty as it is to consider, what we eat does eventually return to the environment through our organic waste and corpses.

Also I've heard something like in Europe the main staple of an entree is not the meat. It sounds like a perfectly reasonable idea, like I said, moderation. Could you imagine how much could be done if we simply reduced our meat intake by 50%-75% rather than 100%.

I think before we really started expanding the United States people never used to eat so much beef, the reason why people started eating so much beef was it was the most efficient source of fat in a rapidly expanding country. Cows were to food what SUVs are to transportation, they're not very efficient overall but when it comes to rough undeveloped lands they work quite well. Europe had thousands of years to develop it's agriculture and everything else, We haven't even had 250. But we're past the point now where we've settled down and can stop relying on beef so much(still need SUVs though, try driving a station wagon through unpaved rough roads), the problem is we the United States are addicted to eating lots of beef as a culture(Beef-its whats for dinner).

Now I mention fat because one of the things that science says lead us to eating meat is the increased dietary requirements created by our brains, increased fat intake being one of those dietary requirements (our brains burn a lot of fat).

Besides if we were to just let them go extinct we would be losing a part of who we are, sure we eventually kill them, but in their time alive we form bonds with them. If you've ever gone to a state fair, you'll see plenty of families who raise animals and bring their very best animals in for show. In spite of them eventually having to kill the animal, they grow to love the animal , and I'd say the animal loves them back. To just stop raising animals would in part sever some of our bonds to the animal kingdom. Sure we kill them, but they're going to die anyways, besides, its more humane than a lot of the times we kill our own species(when was the last time someone water boarded a cow).

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote